Mailing List Expert is a comprehensive course designed to teach you how to build and maintain a strongly engaged email list — one full of actual fans willing to pay for the books you write, rather than free-seekers who will forget your name and never open your emails. We’ll dig down into the nitty-gritty of open rates, click rates, engagement, spam/promotion filters … and build solutions that work for you.
Mailing List Expert covers the basics, the next level, and some advanced and innovative methods. Any indie author, at any stage of the game, will learn something here. Take Mailing List Expert when you’re building a list, want to grow your existing list, or find yourself frustrated with your list’s performance. And even if you’ve come a long way on your indie author journey, don’t think you won’t learn new things even in the Basics section; you will!
Mailing List Expert lasts four weeks. Each week includes:
– an overall topic presentation
– a video call (small group or full class)
– individual call with me
– worksheets and printables
Week One – Basics
- Topic: The Foundations
- Video call: Full-class discussion of the things you need to decide before building (or rebuilding) your email list.
- Individual call: Analyze your current situation and decide on goals. We’ll talk about your perfect list, your ideal subscriber, and how you want to engage; then we’ll choose a provider if you don’t have one, or consider switching if your current provider isn’t meeting your needs.
Week Two – Construction
- Topic: Setup, autoresponders/automation/onboarding, what you’re really selling (ProTip: it’s not books)
- Video call: Full-class discussion of strategies for getting those first subscribers or reorienting existing ones, and how to acclimate new subscribers — even when you only have a few
- Individual call: Plan out your individual onboarding and welcome emails/sequences.
Week Three – Engagement
- Topic: How to keep growing your list with quality subscribers — ethically and sustainably
- Video call: Full class discussion on the various list-growing methods, which work best in which situations, and why? How will you keep subscribers engaged going forward, and what will you do with subscribers who stop engaging?
- Individual call: Make your individual plan for continued growth and killer engagement.
Week Four – Maintenance
- Topic: “What the hell am I supposed to talk to these people about every week/month/whatever?” (I feel you. I do.)
- Video call: Full-class discussion of subject lines, what we mean by “value” and “quality content” and how to keep engaging and re-engaging every subscriber, every time.
- Individual call: Plan out your first several emails, and decide how you will sustain the level of engagement you’ve chosen.
And all graduates get forever access to a forum of indie authors just like you — the success stories of tomorrow, who will share tips and tricks as they get bigger and better!
(Syllabus subject to change based on feedback from ongoing courses.)